Minutes of the Meeting Fitzwilliam Town Library Board of Trustees 6 November 2017

Present: Susan Curtin, Dick Goettle, Barbara Green, Richard Mays, Ann McEntee, Nick Noyes, and Library Director Kate Thomas

Nick Noyes called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM in the Quick Meeting Room of the Library.

The Trustees reviewed and signed the Library Manifest and the Quarterly Financial Report (30 September 2017).

The minutes of the October 2, 2017 meeting were approved as presented.

Dick Goettle stated that the first meeting with Fitzwilliam Budget Committee went well; we presented a strong case, and the committee appreciated the supporting materials provided.

It was agreed that the Trustees will now meet at 5:30 PM, beginning with the December 4th meeting.

The Trustees assessed the library in light of the 2016-2021 Long-Range Plan. Four additional hours of library assistance have been budgeted for 2018. To balance the demand for reading programs, Susan Curtin suggested to Kate Thomas that she contact KSC’s Department of Education to solicit upperclassmen to volunteer as reading program assistants or directors.

The discussion about modifying the library’s Ethics Statement will be continued.

Richard Mays reported that he has incomplete quotes for the fence reconstruction; Nick Noyes asked that he receive them before December 14th so that they may be included in the 2018 CIP request.

Richard also reported that the second floor update is complete, including the installation of the new sprinkler. He also stated that the septic system has been pumped, and that it was recommended that a riser be installed to bring the lid of the septic tank up to grade (as it currently sits 18” below grade). The Trustees approved moving ahead with that installation.

Richard will speak with Debbie Favreau about the coordination of different offices for the sprinkler inspection; the last transpired in 2010, and the Library is overdue for its five-year inspection. It is hoped that it can be scheduled before December 31, 2017.

Ann McEntee raised the question about placing the costs of tree replacement and installation in the 2018 CIP request. It was agreed to take that action, and Richard will call Maple Hill Nursery to reconfirm prices for the 2018 season.

The Trustees reviewed the Librarian’s Report, which stimulated a discussion about materials from not-for-profit organizations posted on the Library’s bulletin board(s). Given a recent letter from a patron, it was agreed that the policy needs to be more explicit regarding the solicitations. Circulation of materials has increased 10% from October, 2016, and 638 people attended 35 programs (including Spooktacular).

Kate encouraged the Trustees to attend the multi-media program, “The Mideast,” Wednesday, November 15th at 7 PM.

Ann invited the Trustees to attend the annual Friends of the Library Tea Sunday, December 3rd at 2 PM.

Richard put forth a motion to adjourn, seconded by Susan. Motion carried, and the meeting adjourned at 7:05 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann McEntee, Secretary