Minutes of the Meeting Fitzwilliam Town Library Board of Trustees 5 February 2018

Present: Dick Goettle, Barbara Green, Richard Mays, Ann McEntee, Nick Noyes, Susan Curtin (alternate) and Library Director Kate Thomas

Nick Noyes called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM in the Quick Meeting Room of the Library.

The Trustees reviewed and signed the Library Manifest and the Library Expenses Spreadsheet.

Nick put forth a motion to approve the January 8th minutes; Richard Mays seconded the motion. Motion passed.

Richard led a discussion about announcements of library closings (due to inclement weather). Kate Thomas currently places such notices on the library’s Facebook page and has yet to receive any complaints. Richard suggested that an announcement on WMUR would be helpful because many people turn to the channel for weather updates. Kate agreed to begin posting announcements there.

The Trustees reviewed the telescope policy and approved it with minor changes.

The Trustees reviewed and signed the Balances of Fitzwilliam Library Treasurer and Investment Accounts spreadsheet, which has been submitted to the township’s auditors for annual review. Dick Goettle proposed that the library director retain a debit card in her name to expedite the ordering of equipment and materials. In the event of resignation or termination, the card would be surrendered with the keys to the building. The Trustees agreed that the card’s control amount should be $1,000. Dick also proposed that the Trustees move forward with a consolidation of investment accounts currently held at Walpole Savings Bank (2 certificates of deposit and a small saving account); it was agreed to begin moving the monies into the Raymond James account as the certificates of deposit mature.

The Locke Committee will meet with Scott Rodolitz, a certified appraiser, Thursday, February 8th, 2018 at the town office. They will look over the Locke collection materials so that Scott can determine if he may continue with a formal appraisal.

Nick reviewed the response of the Budget Committee to his request for CIP proposal/warrants. The committee recommended that the building painting be completed. New fencing received the next to the lowest recommendation; this request needs further documentation—design sketches and pictures of the current fence’s condition. The request for a new shade tree received the lowest recommendation; committee members asked that the Trustees coordinate this request with that of the town hall’s need for new trees after the completion of steeple repair.

Richard agreed to contact glass door companies regarding the repair of the Quick Meeting Room’s sliding door.
Kate presented her monthly report: circulation was up 9% compared to January, 2017; the director and her staff have begun to hold monthly staff meetings; the office computer and printer have been replaced.

Ann announced that Stacie Pirozzi, President of the Friends of the Library, has begun to transform the Friends into a more professional organization. They will soon be creating by-laws and applying for 501(c)3 status.

The next meeting was set for Monday, March 5th, 2018 at 5:30 PM.

Susan Curtin put forth a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Dick, at 6:44 PM. Motion carried.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann McEntee
Secretary