Minutes of the Meeting Fitzwilliam Town Library Board of Trustees 3 April 2017

Present: Barbara Green, Richard Mays, Ann McEntee, Nick Noyes, Susan Curtin—alternate, and Director Kate Thomas

The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM in the Quick Meeting Room of the library. The Trustees reviewed Kate Thomas’s spread sheet of library spending, and it was noted that spending had increased due to the recent purchases of Oscar-nominated films (DVDs) from Amazon. Kate also mentioned that professional association dues and conference fees came due this past month.

The library manifest was approved and signed by the Trustees.

Richard Mays put forth a motion to accept the minutes of the March 2nd meeting as amended, and Barbara Green seconded it. The motion passed unanimously.

The Trustees reviewed the Library Trustee Code of Conduct and approved it unanimously. The document will be appended to the minutes.

The Trustees reviewed Dick Goettle’s revised annual statement, which included a more detailed chart of income accounts and the replacement of the term “Other” (Budget Line Item 810) with “Trustee/Library Membership.” It was agreed that Dick’s template will be used during the October budgeting process and submitted with the library’s 2018 proposed budget to the Fitzwilliam Budget Committee.

The review of the quarterly financial spreadsheet was tabled and will be reviewed during the May 1st Trustee meeting.

A discussion of the library and township’s social media policies ensued. The library retains a social media policy, which was established prior to the township’s social media policy, recently created by the selectmen. The trustees agreed that the continuing use of the library’s policy will supersede the implementation of the township’s policy. It was also agreed that because the Library Director does not report to the selectmen, but rather to the trustees of the library, she will follow the library’s social media policy. Nick Noyes agreed to contact the selectmen to clarify the library’s retention of its own social media policy.

Richard reported that the reconstruction of the library’s fence and “hours of operation” signage is progressing slowly. He has removed the broken pieces of fencing from the premises and will contact Ben Thomas for a fence reconstruction bid.

Barbara Green announced that a meeting with Carl Gravina, our Raymond James representative, has been tentatively scheduled for May 1st to review our investment policy. She also reported that the Memorial Fund account has been transferred from Wells Fargo to Raymond James.

Articles 12 and 13 of the 2017 Warrant passed during the annual town meeting. Richard will contact Ben Thomas to schedule repairs of the library’s second-floor exterior and fire escape.

Nick, Barbara, and former trustee Cathy Talbert will convene a subcommittee to solicit bids for appraisals of the Locke Collection.

Nick reported that he has completed the inventory of the library’s equipment in preparation of the library’s technology plan. Kate stated that she would be attending the session entitled “Futureproofing the Library for the Perpetual Changes of Technology” at the upcoming NHLTA conference, May 23rd. She asked that we postpone finalizing a technology plan until she can provide more information with regard to the library’s future technological needs. Nick stated that he would proceed with preparing a rough draft for the May 1xst trustee meeting.

The next Trustee meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 1st at 6:00 PM.

The Library Director’s report showed an 11% circulation increase compared to March 31st, 2016, and a 30% increase over the course of the last month. The library hosted 28 programs with a total attendance of 267 people. Kate also stated that the new “people counter” has been installed. Water has begun to drip through the ceiling in her office; she will contact the plumber Gary Jackson to assess and repair the damage.

Art shows were discussed. Bill Barefoot is the only artist who is scheduled. Ann McEntee suggested that Kate contact Caroline Edwards, the owner of Sunflowers, to ask for her list of artists who mount shows on the restaurant’s walls. Barbara stated that it had been a number of years since the library hosted a textiles show and suggested contacting Gretchen Wittenborg about a quilt show.

Kate reported that the proposed federal budget will eliminate funding for the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). Such a withdrawal will result in the loss of the inter-library loan service, which provides materials for the library’s four book clubs as well as individual patron requests, as well as databases and part of the Overdrive service.

Kate also stated that she will be taking the majority of her annual vacation during the month of August.

Barbara presented information about a collection of china that was donated to the library by the Fitzwilliam Library Sewing Circle. She compiled an inventory of more than 100 pieces, which were manufactured by the British company Murdoch and Sons before 1924. A formal appraisal has not been made of the collection.

Nick moved that the meeting be adjourned; Susan Curtin seconded it, and the meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann McEntee, Secretary